Monday, November 17, 2014

The Miniaturist

I am reading  "The Miniaturist" by Jessie Burton. The story takes place in the 1600's in Amsterdam. Our heroine, Nella, recieves a "Baby House". Adventures, griefs, and severe church rulings against dolls, mimicing Popery beset her. I recommend it to anyone especially if you have a penchant for things small.

The RijksMusum, Amsterdam
                   Contains the Baby House of Petronella Oortman this book is developed from.


                                                   Here are three rooms from her baby House

                     You can see more by googling: Images Petronella Oortman's dollhouse.

  I love Historical Fiction. The story this house created is marvelous. And let me add how glad I am to be a woman in this century... we have so much more power, Even if they try to remove our choice in anything, once you have been freed, you never go back.


This is a painting of Sara Rothe and Family who has several baby houses in Dutch Musuems
one Museum in Holland that holds one called "Sara Rothe's Display" is at the Frans Hals Musem in Haalem, the Netherlands.
http://www.franshalsmuseum.nl/nl/




 and there are 17 pins on Pinterest for Dutch Baby Houses.  and
Cynthia Howe has kits you can see here:  http://cynthiahoweminiatures.com/shop/ to build.



What is your favorite part of miniature houses, control, interior design or voodoo? CHEERS, CM





8 comments:

Neen said...

Hi CM!

I heard that the book is excellent, and I am on the library wait list for it. A miniaturist-blogger, writing under the name of Ashley Gardner, has written a series of mystery novels set in the Regency period. One of the main characters has a Baby House, and collects pieces for it. It is a minor undercurrent, but the books are well written, and the writer clearly knows about the period. Hope you are well!

Shale said...

I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the great post!

My Realitty said...

Neen I just read that book and was surprised when she received it as a gift! CM

My Realitty said...

Hi Shale. LOVE your Dol toi post with Brimtoy Kitchen! C

Daydreamer said...

It looks fascinating! I will look for it... I LOVE historical fiction!
The reference pictures for the Dutch Baby Houses are wonderful.... I have always wanted to build a "replica" cabinet house! Maybe "someday"!
Thanks for sharing!

My Realitty said...

Daydreamer, go to any thrift shop and buy a cabinet and make your own, add shelves, remove shelves. What fun, how about a mid century one for French antique. You are the day dreamer! CM

My Realitty said...

Neen, what else are you reading. I read
"An Inconvenient Ward"..."Wife" and "Companion". I LOVE regency mystery novels!!! Say Hi to your Mother for me, I think of you every morning as I sip my Keurig! xo CM daz

Fox said...

It was a good book, wasn't it? Glad you liked it, and I love your post that also collects images of some of the historical inspiration!