Monday, January 11, 2010

Theory of Relativity

I am not a purist about scale in the dollhouse. I like to mix it up.

I think it also looks authentic to juxtapose different scales when making an "antique" scene because manufactured items were not as readily available back then and little girls used what ever they had giving the rooms a charming almost whimsical look

Marx, Tootsietoy, Strombecker. Shackman sofas






Wikipedia gives a very good explanation of scale in it's dollhouse section. I m trying my hand at it.




1/24th is usually the smallest, some times used as dollhouses or toys in a 1/12 scale.
1/18th or 2/3 inch scale where 1 inch is represented by 2/3 of an inch
1/16th or 3/4 inch scale where 1 inch is represented by 3/4 of an inch
1/10th or where 1 inch = 10 inches, this is mostly European, with measurement in centimeters
1/12 or 1" scale where 1 foot = 12 inches
1/6 or 1 foot = 6 inches Barbie, Blythe dolls

OK, we all know how important understanding scale is when we buy a miniature... I STILL make mistakes and end up with a perfect item in the wrong size.

Super modernism usually keeps everything in scale to achieve the realism that is so good it makes you ask, is this real or miniature?

Update on Colette: I still don't know her whereabouts. I'm considering calling Nancy Grace... I'm afraid Pubdoll might be right, and she's off with "the young and the restless"... I will "toss" my granddaughter's room tomorrow when she is at preschool. We did find the phone in her dressup box. The box rang.

3 comments:

Karina Schaapman said...

Hi, i also used diferant scales in The mouse mansion

My Realitty said...

The Mouse Mansion is incredible! I especially love the lighting. The mice are adorable. Do they ever worry about cats? xoxo CM

Dana R. Farcas said...

Thanks for this post. I was very confused in terms of scale